And that’s a wrap! I can’t even believe it. I mean…we’re done? Seriously?
It’s amazing how much better we got as we went along. By the time we were done, I was almost tempted to go back and reshoot the first scenes.
The film has a completion deadline of December 1, which means the final product will be done in the next couple of weeks. I can’t wait to see it! I also can’t wait to finally get some sleep, which would be a nice change of pace at this point.
Here’s Mina, waiting in the clovers for her big scene.
Thanks for all the moral support, everyone. And thanks especially to Dayna and Sean, who actually got their hands dirty with me on a couple of occasions. It made a huge difference!
Super Sculpey, Laguna clay, GM foam latex, armature wire, PAX paint, and Hydrocal, ~100 hours
We started filming today. :)
Eyeless Mina and about 5% of my tools.
Sara and Jim, setting up the shot.
Little Mina could use some friends.
World, meet Mina.
Or some semblance of Mina, anyway. Those aren’t her glasses (hers will have eyes on them). And she needs a haircut. But still—!
As of 3:03am, I am officially considering myself done with these puppets. Am I actually done? Technically, no. But the remaining work is all non-essential touch-ups and about ten minutes of construction that I couldn’t do tonight. So, for all intents and purposes, done.
It’s 2am and I’m still not done for the night. But that’s ok, just a few more days and all this will be over. Shooting starts on Saturday morning, bright and early, which means it would be nice if…oh, I don’t know…my puppets actually had heads by then.
Because they don’t.
So I spent 6:30-1:30 at the studio, patching and painting the puppets. I finished three of the nine completely, two more just need heads (a minor detail), and the other four need one more coat of paint before they catch up to their headless brethren. Which means that now, I’m going to sit here and catch up on House while I sculpt a half-dozen heads as fast as my little hands can go.
Oh, and here’s Marion and Monster #1 for my mom, because I promised a picture days ago but didn’t finish until now:
Woo! Lots done yesterday. I made the very last of the puppets (Monster #2, above) and started the epic trim/patch/paint process for the remaining eight puppets. I took the night off tonight to see my friend Colin who was visiting from out of town, but rest assured that I have no plans to see the sunlight tomorrow at all.
This weekend was ROUGH, you guys. Dayna (my new PA) and I were at the studio until one in the morning last night, so you have my apologies for not posting anything until today. I’m about to head over there again right now, but here are a few highlights from yesterday.
We managed to finish making all the latex bodies (yay!!!), so now it’s just a matter of trimming off all the excess, patching the holes, painting the bodies, and sculpting the heads. It’s a lot of work, but fortunately most of it can be done in my living room.
Thanks to Dayna for all these pictures!
The anatomy of a puppet.
Mixing the foam latex.
Pouring the latex into the mold.
Trimming the excess latex.
Lots o’ puppets, in various states of completion.